Sunday, February 04, 2007

And so it begins...

Yesterday, we took the first step on a long-awaited project that, while it is what we have been wanting to do for almost 2 years, it's also something that I have been dreading for nearly as long.

Here's that first step:


A closer look:

That's 32 boxes of laminate flooring. 800 square feet of knee-killing beauty.

Aside from the financial aspect of it, this was probably the easiest step of the whole thing. I think now is a good time to mention that I have to remove nearly 400 square feet of ceramic tile and cement backerboard before we can do the kitchen and dining room. The backerboard was put down to stay put. I know. I put it down. It has 2" screws every 6-8 inches across the whooooooole area. That equates to about 2400 screws that have been mortared over with thinset cement, leaving little or no chance off unscrewing them. I'll have to break up the board, then either grind off what's left of the screws or try to break them off flush with the subfloor. Either way, it's going to be aggravating. Add to it the fact that we will have to live here while it's going on. And the only available time to work on it will be at night and on the weekends. Now you see why I've been dreading it. But the end result will be worth the few hours I spend cussing and getting cussed at.

If I'm MIA for a little while, fear not for I am just busy with things other than blogging. I plan to start ripping the carpet out of the den tonight and starting with the (hopefully) "easy part" first. The den is 24'x22' with no fancy corners. All square cuts. I should be able to knock it out in a few hours.

Wish me luck. And wish her patience.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if the tile was "put down to stay put" um, WHY are you trying to take it out?

Best of luck (I have a feeling you're gonna need it)!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Good Grief. Sounds like you have taken on a royal pain in the ass of a project. Good luck to you and her! Taking up the cement backerboard and the screws sounds like pure torture in itself - not to mention the laying of the actual new floor. Do you like pain or something? Ouch.

Good Luck.

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really are into the firearms, aren't you? Even your flooring says GUNstock on it - sheesh!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kelwhy said...

Ummm, sure - that won't be a pain in the ass at all {voice dripping with sarcasm}. NOPE. LOL - well, good luck to you and we'll be thinking of you. Hubby used to do flooring for a living, so I know quite a bit about it - and I know what you've gotten yourself into. Sigh, I think I'd spend the $ to pay someone to do it... good luck.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger MG said...

oh, what fun...

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Angela said...

It's not so bad once ya get a rhythm down. We have laid approx 2100 sq feet in our house less than a year ago. Still have Foyer and a hall closet to go:-). Remember to take hot showers. Helps with the stiffness.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it done yet??

=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home