Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mile-High HNT

Today is a day that my wife holds with almost as much reverence as "Black Friday." This is the day AFTER deer season. Her marriage is once again whole and sacred. There will still be a few weekends of taking down stands and making sure that feeders and mineral stations are kept full and operational. But she enjoys getting out and riding the 4-wheeler with me when I do those things so it won't be the same as my leaving her home alone most every weekend from October 15th til the end of January.

I did have a pretty good season overall. Pics are here, here and here if you're interested. I had other chances but I chose to let a few deer "go to grow" and hope to reap the rewards in the years to come.

Remember last week's HNT post? When I told you all I had something planned for this week? Sitting in a tree for hours on end gives you time to think about a lot of things. Life, love, the pursuit of monster bucks happiness, etc. And I've even spent a little time thinking of ideas that I could do while sitting in a tree enjoying the quiet time in the great outdoors. I've posted a few of those as HNT's. So now, as the season draws to a close, I'll have to think of other ideas that aren't hunting-related. But, I still have another week to think about the next HNT post. "Carpe' Diem" and all that stuff. Right?

Here's the one I've had planned for nearly two weeks now. Before putting all of my hunting gear away for 9 more months, I decided to try a little creativity.

(And yes, I carry both knives while hunting. I was a Boy Scout, remember?) And before SomeOne makes another comment about geezers, Ol' Man is a brand of treestand.
See?



This idea also hit me Saturday morning so I decided to just make it a "2-fer" this week. (Does this give me a credit balance in case I can't come up with one later on?)

I carved this about 33-35 feet up an oak tree. If I hang a stand in the same tree next year, I'll be sure to take another picture of it. And I know 35 feet high is a little bit shy of a mile, but you have to admit...it was a catchy title.

Swing by The Back Row to see the rest of the half-nekkid people!





8 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how cool!! Hopefully you can get a pic of that next year, too!!!

HHNT :)

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunting season is over - you may now return to your regularly scheduled life. Those are cool pics. Can't wait to see the tree next year!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE it !
now we'll all be anxious for hunting season next year!

HHNT

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your blog is the only one still working right now. How have they not drug you over to Beta yet? Who did you bribe?

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know....it was the age restriction, right? No BETA for you, just AARP?

=)

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Ag said...

Is it Rabbit Season or Duck Season?

HHNT

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy HNT

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I thought you didn't allow Anonymous comments on your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home